Wednesday, December 22, 2004

CHILD BEARING AGE

This morning I was thinking about all of the people in my life; my friends, my family, etc. As my mind wandered I began to think about all of my girl friends that are getting married and having kids. A few of them have even asked me when I will start a family. My response is always that I am ONLY 26 and am in no way ready to bear children or even get married. I started to come up with a Top 10 list so that I can throw random answers at will depending on my mood. TOP 10 REASONS WHY I AM NOT HAVING CHILDREN BEFORE 30: Air travel without baby seats Dinner in quiet restaurants Shopping without strollers Shopping without diaper bags Life is still all about me What is the rush? Undivided attention for cousins, godchildren, and other little cuties Sometimes I feel like child rearing women think they have an all access pass to the development of their unmarried friends. Seriously, I can’t tell you how many times I have been asked when I will have kids, get married, etc. Perhaps it’s my right as a successful single young woman to ask questions about their progression as well? TOP 10 QUESTIONS FOR YOUNG WOMEN WITH KIDS Do you worry that your child will walk in on you having sex? Are you getting your tubes tied? How are little Johnny’s grades? Are you getting along with your in-laws? How is saving for college going? Was the insurance deductible high for that scooter accident Timmy got in? Have you been to that new (insert name of kid un-friendly hip restaurant here) When is the last time you went to the spa? Have you read any good books lately? Do you have a babysitter? Coincidentally, the Village Voice ran an article this week on women and the wait to have kids, get married, etc.

No comments: